Putting Up A New Fence On Your Property? Why You Need A Land Surveyor

Posted on

If you are planning to put up a new fence on your property, you should call a land surveyor to come to your home before you start putting it up.  Putting up a new fence can be an expensive endeavor, especially if you are hiring someone to do it for you. It also takes up a lot of your time. For these reasons, you do not want to have to take the fence down due to a land dispute with your neighbors. Follow the tips below to see how a land surveyor can help you prevent this from happening.

Land Survey

You should already have a survey from when you purchased your home. If you do not, the land surveyor can get one from the local county municipality's office. This survey shows the surveyor the plotting of your land when you purchased your home.  As the surveyor is looking over your property, they may find stakes in the ground where the dimensions start and stop. In some cases, these stakes are made from concrete and may still exist even if you have lived in your home for a long time.  They are usually pushed far enough into the ground that you may not have noticed them.

Land Dimensions

Even if there are stakes, the surveyor also uses special tools to get the exact dimensions of your property. They will get the measurements from different points around your home, and will stake these points as they go if there are no current stakes. Make sure you are there with the surveyor, as they will point out to you where the properly lines are located. This can be helpful information if your neighbor starts complaining.

If you are having a contractor put up your fence for you, the land surveyor will likely give the information they find to them so they know it is okay to erect the fence where you want it. The contracting company may even require this from you before they start working.

Make sure you get all reports and other information from the land surveyor before they leave. You may even want to get two copies and keep one copy in a lock box to keep it safe. You will need these later on if you plan to add something else to your property, such as a swimming pool. If you do lose this paperwork, you can call the surveyor's office to obtain it. For more information, contact a company like Burget & Associates Inc.