4 Signs Your House Needs Re-Wiring

Posted on

Re-wiring a house is a complicated process and one that only a licensed electrician should do. However, knowing when to re-wire a house may be something you can do on your own. There are certain signs that tell you something is wrong with your home's electrical system. Instead of doing minor or temporary fixes for each problem, consider calling an electrician to replace all of the electrical work and starting new. Here are some signs to look for in order to determine if you need re-wiring.

The Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

If the circuit breaker trips once or twice, that usually isn't a big deal. But when it is happening constantly, it is more than frustrating — it could be a sign that you are in need of re-wiring your home. When a circuit breaker trips, it is cutting off the electrical flow in your home. It does this in order to prevent fires. It may also occur if the circuit has too many amps in comparison to what its maximum load is. They can also trip due to overheating or faulty wiring, which is why you should have an electrician come out if you notice it is becoming a problem.

The House Has Old Aluminum Wiring

When you purchase a home, it is important to find out everything you can about it, including what the electrical system is like. This is especially important when you buy an older home since the electrical wiring might be made of materials that are no longer considered safe. Aluminum wiring is a type of wire that was used in the 1960s and 1970s, and is now known to cause overheating and is a fire hazard. If you suspect your house has aluminum wiring, you need to get it replaced. If you look on the wiring jacket and it says AL, it has aluminum wiring.

There Are Discolored Outlets or Switches

When you experience a short to the outlets due to faulty wiring near those outlets or switches, or from a loose electrical connection, it can cause discoloration. Look at the outlets and switches throughout your home, and see if you notice any discoloration. This is likely from the short that caused sparks in the form of a small fire. While the fire goes out, it burns or discolors the outlets. This is a sign to have your electrical work re-wired.

There is a Burning Smell

Any time you have a weird burning smell in your home, you should investigate it safely. When you can't figure out where the smell is coming from, it is often due to a short in your electrical work. Some fires exist in the walls or outlets, and you never see them. While they may go out before they become a more serious problem, it is a sign that there is something amiss. Aside from noticing the discoloration of outlets, you may also smell something burning. If you ever smell burning, call an electrician right away.

If you have any of these issues in your home, work with a licensed electrician, like Dr Electric, to ensure that your wiring is safe. 


Share